Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Eating tasty food keeps us distracted...

Still no baby. Sigh. But I have been keeping busy and trying not to dwell on it (actually, sometimes it worries me how normal I feel. I'm on the brink of the most momentous and life changing event I'm ever likely to experience, and yet I just potter around all day and watch crappy telly. Weird). So instead of moaning, I am going to show what I've been eating (and photgraphing! I can't believe I've actually become one of those people who takes photos of their food!).
Firstly, way back on Saturday night I decided to make a cheesy spinach lasagne, which I haven't made in ages but remembered being hella tasty. Here it is being appreciated by the boy I accidentally managed to convert away from veganism onto the dark path of dairy...
It didn't look as good as it should because the only dish I had was too large for the quantities I made, but it tasted damn good. It's really easy as well, just normal cheesy bechamel sauce layered with lasgne sheets and spinach sauteed with garlic and onion (I added a bit of courgette as well because it was going mouldy in my fridge), plus some pine nuts and nutmeg for good measure. Yum. And it tasted even better for lunch on Sunday (weird how that happens...)

And for dessert, a very vegan chocolate mousse. This is the silken tofu blended with melted dark chocolate formula that I had long been eyeing sceptically in vegan cookbooks. It was far far more delicious than I could ever have expected, and the texture was just perfect! Really moussey and firm, and not at all reminiscent of tofu. I also added a teensy bit of bourbon for flavour (ssshhhhhh, it was just a tiny bit!), plus some summer fruits on top so it looked rather pro. Very simple-just drain the tofu as well as you can, blend it till smooth, melt a couple of bars of nice dark chocolate, add a little golden syrup, then chuck them in with the tofu and blend till it's all well combined. Put into bowls for individual servings then chill til it's firm. No one would guess there's tofu in this, and it seems a lot easier than preparing chocolate mousse int he traditional way (which I've never done but remember my mum fussing over for hours before dinner parties).


Sunday was another scrummy (but unphotographed) dinner-a massive stirfry of cabbage, courgette, green pepper, marinated tofu and quorn and egg noodles, with loads of sweet chilli sauce, of course, followed by probably the best crumble I have ever made, thanks to the kilo of rhubarb for £1 that they were selling in the shop at the Urban Farm a few minutes walk from out house (stopped by there on my way back from the recycling centre and gawped at the cute animals for a while.)
And today, despite eating alone for every meal except breakfast because he's out earning pennies, I have been rather good to myself. For lunch, this:
Sauteed kale made with this recipe-, plus lightly fried strips of oh so tasty basil tofu. I bought some kale the other day because it's supposed to be very high in iron, and I am rather low in iron according to my blood tests. So I coooked half the bag up in a similar manner to spinach, added a bit of garlic and a squeeze of lemon, and eugh, it tasted like shit. Well, not shit, just like leaves. Far too leafy and 'green' for my tastes (although that is obviously the point!). But I still had half a bag knocking around, so I googled kale recipes and this came up. Had all the ingredients and it sounded good, and would ya know it, it actually was! I went a tad overboard on the vinegar, but really enjoyed the kick from the chilli and onion, and didn't have to choke it down at all. (And felt healthy and good). I added sesame seeds, cos sesame seeds make everything better.

And for dinner, a plate full of what may well be my three favourite foods:

Oven roasted British asparagus with olive oil and black pepper, roast potatoes with a touch of garlic, and some oh so delicious Scottish smoked salmon with a squeeze of lemon (and of course black pepper). Oh, how I love all of these foods. British asparagus is amazing, but it's season is so short and it's pricey as hell. I can't believe I actually caved and went to Marks and Spencers (insanely pricey for food) to get this. It just kind of happened whilst I was in town (I was only in town to buy borax and walk around in the hope of getting baby moving). And then I just sort of accidentally picked up the very expensive but very very good smoked salmon, and now I am considerably poorer but rather content.
I will stop eating fishes once baby gets out. It makes me feel bad. But it tastes so good.
(The potatoes are rather overdone, but I actually like them that way. They weren't as good as they could have been because I used sunflower oil instead of olive as cost cutting measure. Made them taste a bit too much like chips. But I suppose I like chips.)
Tasty tasty food, gives me something to focus my energy on and a way to feel like I'm taking care of myself. And stops me from running around madly shouting at the baby to get out of my belly. Not that I'd do that, of course...

No comments: