Friday, January 12, 2007

Girly squeals all round...

Last Friday we went for our 20 week ultrasound (at 22 weeks, of course, effing NHS). It was by far the best ultrasound I've had so far-I've had 5, unfortunately, due to unexplained bleeding. Pretty shite really, when you read about the possible risks etc, but they did at least help put my mind at rest each time I ended up in hospital crazy with worry and confusion. Anyway, this one was my first scheduled, non emergency scan and it was really really good. Firstly because seeing the little bubba is always nice, especially since I hadn't been feeling much movement, and because Mark got to have a good look and get well mushy. Secondly, they had a very good look for abnormalities because I mentioned that the high level scan in Italy had found a soft marker for Downs on the heart. Everything was normal as far as they could see, and when they realised that the marker was just a calcium deposit they were very reassuringly dismissive-apparently they are so common they don't even mention them in England, so it was very unfair of the doctors in Italy to scare me shitless for so long. And thirdly, we got to find out the sex! A little girl! Eeeeeeeeeeeee! (imagine that in a tone so high only dogs can hear). I always thought I'd have a boy, and kind of wanted a boy, but in the last few weeks I had become more and more sure it was a girl, and whenever I pictured my baby it was female. Yay, perhaps I do have women's intuition after all (err, despite not knowing I was pregnant for about 8 weeks, but we'll gloss over that...). Mark had definitely wanted a boy at first, but swears he's not disappointed, and I think he's just happy that she's OK.
Seriously though-the reaction of my girly friends at finding out the sex has almost deafened me with high pitched squealing. Bless...

No comments: